If you are in Uganda you must apply at  VFS Global the business partner for UK Border Agency. VFS Global is a commercial company, working in partnership with the UK Border Agency, the British High Commissions here in Uganda and Nairobi and the British Embassy Addis Ababa providing services to help people apply for UK visas.

  • UK Visa Application CentreUgandaVFS (Uganda) Pvt. Ltd.
    UK Visa Application Centre
    Communications House
    7th Floor, Plot 1 Colville Street – Plot 5 Portal Avenue
    PO Box: 5418
    Kampala, UgandaWorking hours:
    Monday to Friday:
    Application Submission: 0800 – 1500
    Passport Collection : – 0900 – 12000Contact Details
    VFS Call Centre
    Contact number:
    0414340513 (local call rates apply)
    Monday to Friday: 0800 – 1500


Visa Information: Quick links to information on visa categories and other helpful information can be found below. These links will take you to information on the UK Border Agency website where the information is only available in English. You will need to return to this website for details about applying for a visa in your country. You may also want to read the Immigration Rules as your visa application will need to meet these requirements.


Tourism or visiting friends 


  • Visitors in transit (If you want to transit between 2 UK airports/ports or you need to change airlines and clear UK immigration control or you have a brief stopover of less than 48 hours. Your intention must be to transit and not visit the UK
  • Direct airside transit (if you are changing planes at a single UK airport and do not need to clear UK immigration)
  • Crew members – seafarers

Visitors for business

Special visitors

Long term visit visa

Long term visit visa. You should give careful consideration before applying for a long term visit visa valid for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years as there is the possibility that the visa may be refused, or issued for a shorter period than you have applied for. If the application is refused or the visa is issued for a shorter period, you will not be refunded the difference in the visa application fee.


Work/ Employment/ Permit free workers

Tier 1 (Highly skilled workers)

  • Tier 1 Investor (for people making a substantial financial investment in the UK)
  • Tier 1 Entrepreneur (for people investing in the UK by setting up or taking over, and being actively involved in running 1 or more businesses in the UK).
  • Tier 1 Post-study work (for people who were warded an acceptable qualification from a UK institution within the last 12 months, and want to work in the United Kingdom (UK) for a limited period)

Tier 2 (Skilled workers)

  • Tier 2 General skill worker (for people coming to the United Kingdom with a job offer to fill a gap that cannot be filled from within the resident labour force. This category is also for applicants coming to fill shortage occupations)
  • Tier 2 Intra company transfer (for employees of multi-national companies who are being transferred by an overseas employer to a skilled job in a United Kingdom based branch of the company)
  • Tier 2 Sportsperson (for elite sportspeople and coaches whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level)
  • Tier 2 Minister of religion (for those people coming to fill a vacancy as a Minister of Religion, Missionary, or Member of a Religious Order)
  • Tier 2 Policy guidance

Tier 5 – Youth mobility & temporary workers

  • Tier 5 Creative and sporting (for people coming to the United Kingdom to work or perform as sportspeople, entertainers or creative artists for up to 12 months)
  • Tier 5 Charity worker (for people coming to the United Kingdom to do voluntary, unpaid work for a charity.)
  • Tier 5 Religious worker (for people coming to the United Kingdom to work as religious workers. Duties may include preaching, pastoral and non-pastoral work)
  • Tier 5 Government authorised exchange (Government authorised exchange (for people coming to the United Kingdom through approved schemes that aim to share knowledge, experience and best practice)
  • Tier 5 International agreement (Tier 5 Government authorised exchange (for people coming to the United Kingdom under contract to provide a service that is covered under international law)
  • Tier 5 Youth mobility scheme (for young people from participating countries who would like to experience life in the UK)
  • Tier 5 Policy guidance

Points-based system

Settlement visas

  • Husbands, wives, & partners (for someone who wants to settle in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner, fiancé, fiancée, proposed civil partner, or unmarried partner or same-sex partner of someone who is coming to the UK or is already ‘present and settled’)
  • Adopted children
  • Family members (for someone who wants to live in the United Kingdom (UK) with relatives already living there)
  • Elderly dependent relatives (If you are a parent, grandparent or other dependant relative of a British citizen or a person settled in the UK.)

Other visa categories

General information

Coming to the UK?