UK Visa application forms

On this page you will find all the application forms and guidance notes that you need to make a visa application. All pdf forms and guidance notes open in a new window. If you have any problems downloading the forms, please use the UK Border Agency you can find an application form on their website.

Some visa application centres accept online applications. To find out if you may or should apply online please check our Apply online section. If you are not in the UK, and if you cannot apply online you will need to fill in a visa application form. You can get a form, free of charge, from your nearest British mission overseas that offers a visa service, or you can download the form you need from the list of application forms below.

Completing the forms
• Please read the guidance notes for help in completing these forms.
• The forms must be completed in English, using blue or black ink.
• You will need to fill in only one application form, according to the type of application you will make.
• However, a separate application form must be completed for each person that is travelling with you (for example, if you are travelling with 2 children, you must complete an application form for yourself, as well as an application form for each of the children travelling with you – so in this example 3 forms in total).

Non points-based system

Application form VAF1A – General visitor    Application form VAF1B – Family visitor
Application form VAF1C – Business visitor    Application form VAF1D – Student visitor
Application form VAF1E – Academic visitor    Application form VAF1F – Marriage visitor
Application form VAF1G – Medical treatment visitor    Application form VAF1H – Visitor in transit
Application form VAF1J – Sports visitor    Application form VAF1K – Entertainer visitor
VAF Guidance notes
   Application form VAF2 – Employment    Application form VAF3A – Prospective Student
   Application form VAF3B – Student dependant    Application form VAF4A – Settlement

Online Settlement applicants should also complete the following form:
Application form VAF4A Annex (ELT) – English language requirement

   Application form VAF4B – Returning resident    Application form VAF5 – EEA Family Permit
   Application form VAF6 – Direct Airside Transit    Application form VAF7 – Right of Abode
   Application form VAF8A – Overseas Territories    Application form VAF8B – Commonwealth Countries
   VAF Guidance notes

Transfer of a valid visa/entry clearance into a new passport/travel document

Application form – Transfer

Points-based system (PBS)

You must complete the correct self-assessment form, from the list below, and submit a printed copy with the application form VAF9.  The self-assessment form must be completed after you have got your points score from the electronic  Self – assessment points-based calculator (not available for Appendices 8 and 9).

If you are outside the United Kingdom and your application has been refused, you can ask us to review your application using the Administrative Review Request Notice form below. Please read the guidance notes for help with completing this form.

PBS Administrative Review Request Notice

PBS Administrative Review Request Notice guidance notes

Sponsorship Undertaking Form (SU07)

If you are applying for settlement as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of someone in the UK, your sponsor needs to complete and sign the Sponsorship Undertaking Form (SU07) below. By signing this form, your sponsor confirms that they will be responsible for your maintenance and accommodation in the UK. You should include this completed form when you make your settlement application.

Sponsorship undertaking form

Application forms for diplomats and members of foreign governments

Diplomats and officials travelling to or through the UK for private reasons (for example, tourism, study) should continue to use the usual visa application forms. However, diplomats coming on a posting to the UK and members of foreign governments coming to the UK on official business or passing through the UK to another country on official business should complete the appropriate diplomatic application form. Please use the links below to download them.

Form VAFDIP1 is for diplomats posted to the UK. Form VAFDIP1(DEP) is for their dependants coming with them. Form VAFDIP2 is for diplomats travelling to the UK on official business and for members of foreign governments travelling to the UK on goverment business. VAFDIP3 is for diplomats who are ‘in transit’ through the UK to take up a diplomatic posting in another country or for members of foreign governments who are ‘in transit’ through the UK to another country on official business.