Approval of Building Plans by Kampala City Council (KCC)
• Obtain four sets of submission forms from the Area Building Inspector of your respective Division;
• Submit four sets of the duly filled forms to the Area Building Inspector at your divisional offices accompanied by : Four sets of architectural drawings ; and a sketch of the location plan drawn to scale of 1:2500
• The submitted documents are distributed by the Area Building Inspector to: Medical Officer of Health – for Public Health requirements such as ventilation, sanitation etc.; Chief Town Planner – for such as accessibility, density of buildings and people, user activity in relation to zoning, plot coverage and ratio, skyline, etc.; City Engineer – for structural details especially in cases of storied buildings; and Land Officer – for verification of title/ownership of land.
After approval by the Council, the plans are stamped and one copy is availed to the developer.
Stage 2: Construction Phase
• The developer should give notice to the Chief Town Planner, specifying the date and time of commencement. The information should be forwarded through the respective Area Building Inspector at the Divisional Headquarters. The developer must obtain a job card from the Area Building Inspector at the Division offices.
Stage 3: Occupation Phase
• On completion of construction, the developer/owner or his Architect shall duly complete applications forms applying for a certificate of occupation or occupation permit.
• Inspection fees – paid by the occupant.
The Principal Building Surveyor recommends to the Chief Town Planner to issue a written permit of occupation.
NB: other authorities may also follow similar paths
The Public Relations Officer
Kampala City Council
City Hall, Room A112