The Ugandan UK Convention, a Trade and Investment Forum has now become firmly established as an annual event in the UK.
The forum brings together experts, business leaders, professionals and representatives from prominent organisations based in Uganda, the UK and internationally. Delegates have access to up-to-date information on the vast potential for investment that Uganda offers to both the domestic and international community. They can acquire business tips, obtain relevant literature on priority sectors for investment, take part in an interactive Q & A session and hear about the realities of doing business in Uganda.
- Meet and network with African and UK professionals marketing goods for global markets
- Market your services and products to delegates and visitors on the day
- Meet business leaders to discuss the major developments, challenges and success stories
- Gain competitive advantage over competitors, broadening your marketing strategy
- Network with like-minded businesses
- Develop business partnerships with potential business partners both in the UK and abroad
- Meet potential investors in order to identify funding options
- Explore new markets for products and services
- Identify reliable suppliers
- Support Ugandan and UK businesses in bilateral trade, business and investment
- Create a platform for trade, business and investment between Uganda and Europe (UK) and promote and facilitate access to trade opportunities in Uganda (East Africa) for Ugandan and European (UK) investors, including one-to-one meetings
- To maintain a dialogue with business organisations who can promote trade opportunities in Uganda, including the Federation of Small Businesses, Chambers of Commerce, the Institute of Directors, the Confederation of British Industry and the City of London;
- Promote Ugandan exports and identify export opportunities, so that the export earnings close the gap with the import demand and promote the transformation of Uganda from a current consuming nation into a producing nation. To this end, engage in close communication with the Ministry of Finance and Investment Authority in Uganda for advice and information.
- Encourage investments in the key sectors, i.e. education, health, housing, sports, tourism and many more
- Exhibit and celebrate the rich diversity of their cultural heritage and encourage Ugandans to be more active as ambassadors for Uganda’s culture – food, clothes, social life etc
- Inspire Ugandans in the Diaspora to engage in entrepreneurial activity while connecting them to potential collaborators, mentors and business partners
- Encouragement of youth involvement (to understand their culture/language and the importance of upholding Uganda’s visions, promoting the entrepreneurial opportunities for them in Uganda and encourage them to have a voice and be part of the policy making process
- Mentor Ugandan youths in the Diaspora to instill in them a sense of nationalism and become responsible citizens
- Encourage Ugandans in the Diaspora to promote a positive image of their nation
- Raise awareness of financial services available for small to medium sized businesses in Uganda and the United Kingdom
- Seek investment opportunities in public and private organizations within Uganda, the United Kingdom and Europe and inform Ugandans in the Diaspora about such opportunities
- Increase remittances inflows through targeted investment products for Diasporas
- Mobilize the Ugandan business communities in the Diaspora for investment and trade in Uganda
- Uganda has a wealth of talent in an ever-improving education market, vast natural resources, massive energy producing capabilities, expanding tourism and hospitality services and opportunities to improve infrastructures and construction projects. We are driven by the belief that Africans need to recognise their wealth of potential and work towards attaining self-sufficiency and regaining control of their destiny!
- Promote Career and Job opportunities in Uganda (addressing the challenges of ‘brain drain’); Skills Data Bank (holds CVs of qualified Ugandans around the world); Online Career Guidance service (to foster diversity of skills and encourage young Ugandans into the labour force); Project Announcements (to increase awareness of Ugandan-led projects); Matching of professional skills available in Uganda diasporas and job offers in Uganda·
- Devise and organise programs to create stronger cohesion, cooperation, and foster a spirit of unity and support between various tribal Ugandan communities in the UK. This is a big priority to ensure long term success of Diaspora members.
- Carry out workshops advising Ugandan Diaspora to carry out a successful business in Uganda and resettle back home·
- Identify potential opportunities in Uganda and mobilise Ugandans in the Diaspora to invest back home and increase the role of Ugandan Diaspora in Uganda’s development
- Work closely with private and government organs to assist in creating the “enabling environments” for Diaspora engagement, including policies and programs affecting return, retention, virtual participation/contributions and investment in development.
- To inspire a new generation of Diasporans engaging responsibly with Uganda
- Avert the brain drain by encouraging professionals in the Diaspora to scout for employment in Uganda. One of the much potential in the Diaspora is the accessibility to intellectual, cultural, financial, human and social capital. We believe that education and skills training, especially in business and entrepreneurship, can increase the ability of a society to improve its productivity and competitiveness. We are devoted to develop and support effective skills development in the Diaspora i.e. connecting the Diaspora to technical training, providing advice on other opportunities such as ICT.